Someone told me I should do that to clear a killer clog. I've used drain openers, even took a 'snake' to 25' and didn't clear anything. This is in my kitchen sink.. anyways, someone told me to pour some muriatic acid down my drain and I did.. this was at about 6am.. immediately, my drain started bubbling up and it had a sulfur smell to it. Came home at about 4:30 and the house still had this smell to it and there was still standing water in my sink, it would bubble up but only every once in a while. Anyone know what would make that smell? and I do think I have metal pipes but I poured enough water in that it should have diluted the acid enough to not cause it to eat away from my pipes (this was after I realized I fucked up) I thought maybe the smell came from it reacting with the metal? But I put a tin can lid from a can of soup into a plastic cup and poured the acid onto it, it started bubbling and doing cool shit.. but it didn't have a sulfur smell to it, it was more like an acid gas. Just wondering what made that damn smell and if it's safe for me to try it again? Maybe the sulfer smell came from it eating away some kind of lime buildup? or some organic material?