Discussion in 'Gearhead Garage' started by Jishory, Mar 19, 2011.
I think by "I" he means something like this?
I thought we were talking about the crossmember in front of the engine... That last pic of the intercooler shows what I had to cut.
Yes, that U-channel is shaped to take lateral forces as would an I-beam. Cut the "U" and you decrease the lateral load handling ability. A piece of angle iron would have been a better choice than plate. The plate takes care of the vertical forces but the twisting lateral forces at a crucial point above the drive axle would be a worry of mine.
As far as the cross member goes, I would just fab up a new one further forward of the engine.
Are you using solid motor mounts? I wonder if the compressor pulley has enough clearance from the frame rail during start-up and shut-down when it will twist on the mounts a bit...
the engine is tilted way forward in that picture, i had a ratchet strap supporting the back, as it sits now i have 3/4 of clearance
If I don't post again I got crushed under this transmission, it was nice knowing all of you.
How much does that bastard weigh?
360 lbs i think
Ive read 360-450 lbs.
Just to give everyone an idea of the size... my dad is 6ft. this is when we did my clutch on my old cummins.
It's a freakin' monster all right.
Valair clutch in, waiting on one bolt to come in the mail...
This truck is going to be tits when you're done. Awesome project Jish.
Transmission is in. Also got a shit load of parts headed my way, went on a spending spree this week, the whole drive train should be covered by next weekend.
I hope she's double clutching, because if she's granny shifting she's going to ruin your new trans. //ruined fast&furious joke.
Fucked off yesterday instead of working on the cummins... needed a break. This area is right by my house.
Don't think I've ever seen pics of your rig in action before. Nice.
Dang, If I didn't know better, I'd swear you were at Immigrant Lake, it and the terrain looks almost identicle.
Looks like you had some fun.
Installed a successfully working throttle cable today. I have tried a few other ones and have broken them.
Need a new wastegate actuator... If I ever do this again I'm going to get a complete donor vehicle, the little parts I need are killing me, not so much money but time and effort to find part numbers and waiting on the part to get here. On the other hand my UPS guy is really cool and I like to keep him employed.
Also went to the junkyard and had them pull a complete a/c system out of a perfectly good truck, a little piece of me died inside. Truck was a mid 80's K30 dually, complete and running.
Got half of the intake plumbed... Other half didnt fit as expected so i ordered more pieces from silicone intakes.
Tracked down the a/c suitcase and other a/c parts from a junkyard. Going to have to get custom a/c lines made. I have no idea about a/c crap so that should be nothing different than the rest of this project.
Need to cram a condenser in the already crowded radiator support.
Radiator all plumbed. Went to vatozone and bought two dozen radiator hoses to piece something together and used splices from jags that run.
High performance Lokar throttle cable
I am HOPING to get it fired up this week and get an order in for driveshafts. I'm having surgery on my foot soon and really want to get it done before then when I will be stuck to the couch.
You are going to replace that drier for the A/C system I hope. Once the system is opened up to the atmosphere, those things start to suck up moisture like a sponge and are therefore useless.
Well because the drier was designed for r12 I have to replace it with one that is compatible with r134a anyways. I was going to see if somebody could identify all of the fittings I have anyways because I have to make custom lines. This website seems pretty legit even though he isn't returning my emails with the same question http://www.rayeveritt.com/Parts/Hoses/Hoses.html
New BD wastegate actuator is in. Transfer case is in with machined shift rails and twin stick stuffand the transmission crossmember has been made.
Started wiring the engine.
I hopefully will get the truck fired up in the next couple days. Battery cables and driveshafts will be ready tomorrow.